There is no question that mental agility and how we live our lives are directly related. Keeping your mind sharp, inevitably leads to a better quality of life. If regularly exercising is advice that is given with absolute regularity, tips on healthy eating are more nuanced.
The popularity of online games that are sweet-themed is indicative of how gaming culture can have a direct influence on our eating habits. Online spins like Sugar Pop, the Candy Crush game and the Gordon Ramsay Dash game, are all relevant examples as to how our online activity can, however subtly, influence how and what we eat.
What we eat affects several facets of our life. If alcohol is a mood suppressant, complex carbohydrates like banana’s and lentil’s boost feelings of well-being. How we consume our food directly leads to how we live our life. To fuel this clarity of mind, how you eat is truly relevant. You could do worse if looking for a simple, quick recipe. This gnocchi with a tomato sauce and parmesan cheese offers simplicity but wholehearted goodness and quality at the same time.
It is hard to have the energy to rustle up a dinner at the best of times and after a days work is no easier. But the beauty of this dish is that you can prepare it en masse, and freeze the surplus if required. Either way, it is limited effort and the returns are well worth your time.
- 1 Tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500g/1lb 2oz of fresh tomatoes, chopped roughly
- 400g/14 oz can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of sun-dried tomato paste
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Basic potato gnocchi
- Cheese shavings
This is a dish that is favoured by families and professionals alike and what is attractive about this dish is that it is straightforward and quick to make. The end result is a dish that is not overly complicated but tastes little short of divine on cold winter days.
Image Credit: Facebook Yummy Food&Drink
The directions are simple and once followed once, it will become second nature for repeat performances. The key to cooking dishes like this is a little preparation and organisation. The ingredients are not hard to source.
- First off, grab a large saucepan and heat it over a medium setting. Then add the chopped onion and follow with the garlic.
- After 5 – 10 minutes max, add in the fresh tomatoes and the can of chopped tomatoes, as well as the tomato paste and basil leaves. A little salt and pepper give this a delicious taste.
- While that simmers away for 30 minutes, then bring a pot of water to the boil, seasoning it with salt. Once done, then add in the basic gnocchi. You can do this in two batches as it only takes two minutes to cook and cooks more thoroughly when done this way.
- You then transfer the gnocchi to the simmering dish and reheat everything together at a low heat.
- Finally, add in the cheese shavings and allow them to melt gently into the dish, sitting comfortably on top.
Your body and your mind will be grateful for decisions to eat well. That it can be done with wholesome flavour and improve how you live your life, is an added bonus.