There is never a time when it is okay to ‘relax’ the security measures in place in your business. Criminals are always looking for new and innovative ways to carry out their plans.
So that your business is not the subject of robbery, vandalism, or internal theft, here are some basic measures you can implement.
How secure is your business?
Oxford security experts explain that thefts often depend on the opportunity and that, in a large number of cases, the determining factor is an oversight that the owner of the business has within the business; that is immediately taken advantage of by the criminals.
Therefore, permanent surveillance is one of the main security measures which helps eliminate this problem, but not the only one.
First of all, it is essential to have a pre-established security plan. You should hire a professional security technician to plan and install a complete security system that is specifically adapted to the idiosyncrasies and needs of your particular business and its location. This security plan will require some basic elements.
- In the first place, an adequate indication by means of signs – both in accesses and in the interior of the business – of the existence of specific security measures.
- A sound alarm system suitable for the business and connected to a reception center with a protected telephone line, not visible.
- A video surveillance system, with visible (dissuasive) or camouflaged cameras, with recording of images, covering all key (high value/risk) areas of the business.
- One or several guards in case they are necessary. You should also carefully consider a trusted employee who can take responsibility for the security system and its maintenance.
- An audible signal and a control system to open the access doors to the business.
- It is also advisable to reinforce common spaces such as lobbies, landings, and staircases, as well as other elements such as ceilings, floors and partition walls.
- If the premises are located in contiguity with other buildings; protect shop windows using anti-moon landing pillars, reinforced glass, vibration detectors, etc. Make use of lockable display cabinets for displaying high-value merchandise.
- It is advisable to install security grilles or blinds, anti-lever and anti-cut doors. Establish with the help of a security expert the best method of securing windows and other access points to the business (vents, skylights, etc.). Also, make sure to install security locks on doors, windows and other access points, and reinforce frames and hinges.
- It is also recommended to maintain good lighting both inside and outside your business. Take extraordinary precautions if your business operates at unusual times (night shift, 24-hours, etc.).
You have worked hard to establish and grow your business – make sure all your hard work is not for nothing. Secure your business against robbery, theft, and vandalism to ensure your peace of mind.