Interior design is becoming ever more popular these days as we’re constantly evolving and changing our minds and wanting our homes to reflect our tastes and personalities. This of course means that our living spaces undergo the occasional transformation, as much as our budgets allow, anyway.
Sometimes it’s something small like giving the walls a new lick of paint, other times it’s a bigger job like landscaping the back garden, or installing a new kitchen perhaps (with the help of a professional, obviously).
Should you have the itch to take your interior design skills up a notch without breaking the bank, then keep reading this article as we are going to share with you our top 30 clever tricks and tips on how you can flaunt your personality without breaking the bank!
1. While changing the flooring in a room might sound expensive, it really doesn’t have to. There are so many options that don’t cost the earth. Whether you go for a simple wood flooring, or perhaps tiles, or carpet. The choices are endless!
2. Mix and match your dining chairs to create a bit of variety. You could even go to a recycling centre or charity shop to really mix it up!
3. Coat one wall of your room in a bright colour to create a feature wall.
4. There’s no limit to how creative you can get with floating shelves! Perhaps your kitchen needs more storage space or your home office just doesn’t have the room for filing cabinets.
5. String garden lights around the house. A great way to bring a bit of extra light into your garden, and what a fun way to do it!
6. Add a few framed photographs on a wall to instantly add character and personality to your home.
7. Contrasting colours or materials never go unnoticed and are a wonderful way to generate changes…and a splash of colour to brighten up your home.
8. Paint your dining chairs or old, worn out cupboard to create a fresh new look.
9. Create a feature wall with wallpaper that looks like a rustic brick wall.
10. Sometimes all that’s needed to revive a room is a simple spring clean and tidy up session.
11. Chalkboard paint is not just for children’s rooms, you know!
12. Test your DIY skills and create a wreath for your front door.
13. Never underestimate the style power of some potted pretties. Flowers can instantly change the look and feel of a room.
14. While maps may only work for a particular taste, they can introduce a very savvy and interesting style to a home. If there is a place in the world that is special to you or your family, perhaps you could create a wall canvas of the area to remind you of its importance.
15. Wallpaper or a wall mural can instantly turn your entire bedroom’s look around.
16. Scout the garage sales for some recycled furniture pieces you can style up. A great way to find a bargain!
17. Give your bathroom a fresh feel by upgrading your bath/sink taps.
18. A coat rack creates a very welcoming entrance and is a great idea when it comes to filling an entrance hall. Plus, as it’s now getting in the colder, wetter months, it’s essential!
19. Mirrors not only make a space feel and look bigger, they can also help to cast light around the room making it feel more spacious.
20. A scatter cushion or two on your sofa can really brighten it up without breaking the bank.
21. Add a hanging plant to the corner of a room. Now that’s one element that will never go unnoticed and what a great way to get more foliage into a room without taking up vital space.
22. Take to the walls to show off your artistic side with a paintbrush and some stencils.
23. A simple wall clock can add an elegant touch to any room and the bigger the better in some cases. Why not make the clock the focal point!
24. Green walls or vertical gardens can enhance a home and inject a refreshing look and feel into your living spaces.
25. If you have a fireplace, why not add a wooden mantle piece to create a cottage style feel to your living pace.
26. Cute boxes and/or baskets can add colour and functionality to a space in need of some storage.
27. Change up the lighting in your room. Different styles of lighting can really change the look and feel of a room. Candles will make it feel romantic, warm and cozy. Spot lights will make it feel brighter and more open and floor uplighters will make the room feel brighter due to the light being aimed upwards.
28. A new rug is the quickest way to add personality to a room, not only will it be a treat for your feet!
29. Add smaller items of furniture to your room. For example a small bookcase to showcase your favourite books, or a side table to feature some special photographs on or perhaps your favourite plant. Don’t forget the little touches!
30. Get rid of those old curtains and get yourself some gorgeous wooden shutters. Shutters, or even a blind will make your room feel bigger and more spacious…and more modern!
We hope you found this article interesting and inspires you to get decorating!